The social and economic fabric of Olneyville has long related to the mills along the Woonasquatucket River. As industry left New England, it left Olneyville struggling for a new foundation. Many organizations have done outstanding work to restore this area for the past 10-15 years. Much can and is still being done even while the recent recession has slowed investment. KeepSpace will continue the vision of Olneyville as a good place to live, work and visit.
The KeepSpace Community Design Plan will work to:
• Build upon successful neighborhood revitalization efforts.
• Create additional healthy open spaces and reclaim brownfields for new economic and social uses.
• Build on or rebuild existing infrastructure while also enhancing the cultural diversity of the existing neighborhood and city communities.
• Improve linkages between Olneyville and Providence’s other cultural, educational and recreational amenities.
• Use the Woonasquatucket Greenway as a new centralizing element and connector to recent mixed-use mill renovations and the Providence Place Mall.
• Preserve and create jobs and homes for a broad range of Rhode Island families – especially those currently living and working in Olneyville.
• Improve transportation opportunities including the 6/10 Connector and Promenade Street, and integrate these improvements with better access to the Woonasquatucket River.
• Create good, safe homes that families living in the neighborhood can afford to rent or buy.
• Recover from the devastating impact of foreclosures by repairing and beautifying homes and breathing new life into neighborhoods.
• Establish a stronger economic and tax base by supporting existing community businesses and attracting new ones.
• Create a safe, walkable community by connecting the bike path, river, roads and walkways.